Friday, November 20, 2015

CRIMINAL MINDS

NEWS PHOTO
Criminal Minds is a popular television show about FBI profilers who often figure out crimes before they happen based on psychological clues.  About 25 years ago I unwittingly became a profiler and predicted a murder months before it happened.  Unfortunately, I was not believed and the ending was tragic.

Due to spousal abuse, a piano tuning client of mine had her husband removed from their home and filed for divorce.  She had been a music major in college and loved playing her piano. Despite having a restraining order in place, her husband got into the house when she was at work and filled the entire inside of the piano with kitty liter which made the piano unplayable.  It took me an entire day to clean it out.  A few weeks later the husband again entered the house and broke off many of the hammers which disabled most of the keys. Once again I had to do a big repair job.  A month later the husband got into the house again and took a hammer to the entire piano which rendered the instrument useless.  I explained to the wife that the violence was escalating and I was certain the next time her husband returned he would go after her.  I suggested she move out.  She dismissed my suggestion and asked me to find her another piano.  Unhappy with the way she brushed me off, I dropped by the local Police Station and asked that they put the house under surveillance since I was sure a tragedy was in the making.  One again I got the brush off.

A few weeks later I read in the newspaper that the husband entered the house, abused the wife, and then shot her to death.  He then drove his truck to a remote location along a nearby river bank, put his gun in his mouth, and blew most of his head off.  Would things have turned out differently had my warnings been acted upon?  You decide.