Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I CAME WITH THE PIANO




The two gentlemen pictured need no photo caption. That's how it is when your really famous. In my long carrier as a piano tuner/technician, I have had the privilege being of service to so many of the greats. People who became celebrities the old fashioned way, thru real talent and hard work. Not because of some publicity stunt they pulled that landed them on the Internet. Why do there performers choose me as their piano technician? To be truthful they usually just wind up with me by chance. I came along with the piano that was rented for the concert. I am one of the tuners who does work for the venue they appeared at. The concert promoter uses me when the need arises. Often I get to meet the artist. Sometimes I become their regular technician and even take care of their home piano. Sometimes we get to be friends. In a few rare cases, usually do to a common interest, we hang out together.


MY RULES CONCERNING CELEBRITIES: I treat them like regular people, which they appreciate. They grow weary of the fawning, fussing, groveling, and the yes yes yesing! I deal with them in a professional, but, friendly manner. I do not ask for photos, autographs, tickets, or, other favors. If something is offered I graciously accept. I am respectful of their talent, but, do not rave on. I do give what help I can offer. It can be as simple a thing as offering to bring back a cup of coffee when I go to get one for myself. The most important thing is I am always honest if my opinion is asked. Celebrities hate being lied to.

Those whom have played or performed with pianos I have tuned are in alphabetical order by last name: Jenna Angeloni, Burt Bacharach, Tony Bennett, Victor Borge, Ray Charles, Kristin Chenoweth, Janie Christina, Judy Collins, Ginger Coyle, Duke Ellington, Ferranti & Teicher, Melody Gardot, Billy Joel, Elton John, Lang Lang, Liberace, Al Martino, Taylor Mason, Liza Minnelli, Dudley Moore, Ricky Nelson, Willie Nelson, Peter Nero, Luciano Pavarotti, Frank Sinatra, Roger Williams, and many others. I'm sure I've forgotten someone. E-mail me if I did.

Of course I've also done work for hundreds of the rich and famous who are not musical performers such as actors, politicians, professional athletes, socialites, royalty, etc. And then there are the regular folks who are the bulk of any piano tuner's clients, but, many of which have interesting stories of their own. In this blog, I hope to write about them all. Incidently, I have also played piano as a studio session musician for many recording artists. If you would like to HEAR ME PLAY THE PIANO just Google Janie Christina. The pianist backing her up on any of her recordings is me, or, E-Mail rockpresspublishing@comcast.net and request free MP3 downloads.