Tuesday, December 1, 2009

MISTAKEN IDENTITY







Meet my cat Gaitway Jordan, rescued him from an animal shelter in 2000. He was found abandoned by a gate in a park so the shelter named him Gateway. I changed the spelling to Gaitway and added the Jordan. Almost always, when I am at the computer, he sits by my side. Just thought you might like to meet my "editor." Now, on with the story:

About forty years ago I was tuning a piano in the recreation center of a nursing home when a lady in a wheel chair rolled up and settled in to watch me work. As I plunked along note by note setting each string into proper tune, more and more people showed up to watch. Soon I had gathered quite an audience. I kept tuning, plunk, ping, ding, on and on for most of an hour. When I was finished, I packed up my tools and made my way thru the crowd towards the exit. A white haired woman in a wheel chair tugged at my sleeve and said, "We appreciate your effort in coming here young man, but, you're the worst piano player we've ever heard!" I went back to the piano and played a couple of tunes......just to redeem myself.